According to Nick Cafardo of The Boston Globe, the Cleveland Indians rejected a trade that would have sent right-hander Clay Buchholz to the Indians in exchange for Victor Martinez. Furthermore, the Red Sox countered with a deal that consisted of Justin Masterson and Michael Bowden for Martinez, but the Indians turned that offer down as well.
Cafardo touched on a lot of other things as well in his latest piece for The Globe. Lets have a look. Here's some random information.
- Brian Cashman believes the Yankees have enough to win it all, and he doesn't want to part with his young prospects. However, many Red Sox fans are still worried the Yankees will jump in at the last minute on Roy Halladay much like they did with Mark Teixeira and Johnny Damon. Another quick note here not from Cafardo, but from John Heyman of SI.com, who reports (via twitter) that the Yankees might be willing to give up Joba Chamberlin, but they wont do a deal that includes both Hughes and Chamberlain (this for Roy Halladay of course).
- Cafardo spoke with Yankees outfielder Johnny Damon who said this current Yankee team reminds him a lot of the 2004 Red Sox.
- Cafardo wonders what is going on in the Mets organization. He says their needs to be someone with a high baseball IQ overseeing Omar Minaya and Tony Bernazard.
- A former Met player (probably John Franco) said, "That clubhouse has always been fragmented. It starts with the people in charge."
Now lets look at some of the trade rumors.
- In addition to the Red Sox, the Indians are fielding offers from both the Giants and the Rays for Victor Martinez, but the Indians aren't likely to deal Martinez unless the team's best prospect is involved. Not really sure about this one, is Clay Buchholz not the Red Sox best prospect?
- Some other pitchers on the market besides Halladay are Scott Kazmir, Cliff Lee, Erik Bedard, Jarrod Washburn, and George Sherrill. Nothing too surprising there.
- Also the Orioles and Blue Jays might start fielding offers for Aubrey Huff and Kevin Millar.
- The Red Sox will dip back into the Roy Halladay sweepstakes if the price comes down in the end.
- The White Sox could be a team to pull of something big. Maybe even Roy Halladay.
- Cafardo wonders if the Giants plans have been put on hold with the sudden death of owner Sue Burns.
- Cafardo proposes a swap of "underachieving" Scott Boras clients, saying the Red Sox and Tigers should swap Magglio Ordonez for J.D. Drew.
- Twins GM Bill Smith is looking is looking to add another reliever and a middle infielder before the deadline. Some names rumored are Freddy Sanchez, Orlando Cabrera and Christian Guzman. Cafardo says, with Target Field opening next year the Twins might be able to stretch their payroll a bit.
- Cafardo wonders if Brad Lidge doesn't straighten out, if the Phillies would consider using Pedro Martinez as the closer.