MINNEAPOLIS, MN - AUGUST 20: Matt Capps #55 and Joe Mauer #7 of the Minnesota Twins celebrate a win against the New York Yankees on August 20, 2011 at Target Field in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Twins defeated the Yankees 9-4. (Photo by Hannah Foslien/Getty Images)
The winter meetings are pretty awesome, don't you think? One of my favorite parts of the winter meetings is perhaps when the agents address reporters about their clients. Unlike general managers, agents will always talk about specific teams interested; after all, pinning one team against another is to their benefit.
Today it was agent Paul Kinzer talking to reporters about two of his free agent clients in third baseman Aramis Ramirez and right-handed reliever Matt Capps. Kinzer also represents free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal, and Cubs' shortstop Starlin Castro.
On Aramis Ramirez:
- The top third baseman available in free agency will be looking for 4-year deal or 3-years with an option, reports FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal.
- The "ship has sailed" for any chance of Aramis Ramirez returning to the Cubs, reports MLB.com's Carrie Muskat.
On Matt Capps:
- Twins GM Terry Ryan called to express interest in re-signing Capps, reports FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal.
- Kinzer says he hasn't heard at all from the Nats, reports Washington Post's Adam Kilgore.
- Kinzer believes the Jays and Mets will have interest in Capps because both teams need closers, reports ESPN's Adam Rubin and Sportsnet's Shi Davidi.