WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 16: Ryan Zimmerman #11 of the Washington Nationals throws the ball to first base against the Florida Marlins at Nationals Park on September 16, 2011 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Greg Fiume/Getty Images)
Rumors from around the AL and NL East divisions:
- Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post was told from Ryan Zimmerman's agent that the Washington Nationals third baseman is currently not in any talks to extend his contract.
- Ken Rosenthal and John Paul Morosi had a duel column where they say that the Toronto Blue Jays have expressed interest in Colorado Rockies closer Huston Street.
- SI.com's Jon Heyman says that the New York Yankees have signed minor league pitcher Mike O'Connor. O'Connor is 31 years old and saw a brief time with the New York Mets last season.
- Yahoo's Tim Brown says that the Miami Marlins have offered Albert Pujols a nine year deal. The Marlins made a very impressive pitch to the first baseman, sources say.
- Rob Bradford from WEEI.com cites sources that the Boston Red Sox have made an offer to free agent designated hitter David Ortiz. According to Bradford, they had already made a proposal but their most recent one had more years than the first.