News and note, and all the rumors, from around the always tough American League East.
- Rob Bradford from WEEI reports that the Boston Red Sox called the Kansas City Royals about their closer Joakim Soria, but they asked for more than the Red Sox had.
- Andy Martino from the New York Post said that the New York Yankees called the Oakland Athletics about Gio Gonzalez, but they asked for their top hitting prospect Jesus Montero and a slew of pitching prospects.
- Steve Slowinski from DRays Bay, the SBNation Tampa Bay Rays blog, takes a look at San Diego Padres first baseman Anthony Rizzo, who the Rays have interest in trading for.
- Andrew Gibson from Camden Chat, the SBNation Baltimore Orioles blog, takes a look at Endy Chavez, the outfielder they just signed. The free agent had been a member of the Texas Rangers last season and will be a platoon bat in Baltimore.
- Erik Venskus from Boston Sports Then and Now makes a case for Dustin Pedroia to be the Red Sox captain with Jason Varitek likely out.
Don't miss a single rumor, trade, or signing! Follow us: