Amy Gutierrez of Comcast SportsNet Bay Area is reporting that due to last night's nasty collision with Scott Cousins, Buster Posey has a broken leg and torn ligaments and may be out for the season. Buster was hitting .284/.368/.756, good enough to already earn 1.8 Wins Above Replacement, second only to Russell Martin.
When a team gets that much production out of what is typically a number 7 or 8 hitter, losing him for the season can be damaging indeed, and the Giants have to be reeling right about now.
Other Posey Injury Notes and Fallout:
- Buster Olney is reporting that Posey's agent, Jeff Berry, says a rule change is needed and compares the play to a $100k fine-inducing helmet-to-helmet hit in the NFL.
- Rob Neyer describes the situation as "as terrible as terrible news gets." Eli Whiteside will see most of the playing time, but the Giants may be looking to the marketplace for a new catcher.
- Neyer also says that MLB and MLBPA should take the blame for this, and though Cousins altered his path to hit Posey, his behavior is normal and accepted.
- With Darren Ford going to the DL, Gutierrez is also reporting that Chris Stewart and Brandon Belt are called up to the team.
- We are still awaiting further confirmation from the team.
Update from Amy Gutierrez:
Danny Knobler is reporting that Posey is going to the DL with a "fracture to bone in lower left leg."