Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times is reporting that Howie Kendrick is being placed on the DL and the Angels are going to sign Russell Branyan. Kendrick had initially been benched after a right hamstring injury in Seattle.
Other Kendrick / Branyan Notes:
- Howie Kendrick has been on the Angels bench for at least seven straight games, according to Eric Stephen SB Nation Los Angeles, but had running and agility drills and was NOT expected to land on the DL
- Kendrick was beginning a career year, too -- hitting .322/.388/.520, enough (with a big bump for his defense and a little from his base running) to earn 3.0 Wins Above Replacement for the year so far.
- Arizona had just released Russell Branyan several days ago, but Rob Neyer argued that he should have a job.
- Branyan is hitting a paltry .210/.290/.339 and has actually had negative value (-0.1 WAR) on the season. That said, his career marks are .234/.329/.471, not exactly a world beater in the first place.
- Branyan is active for today's game against Oakland.