Today was the day when teams and players are required to file salary figures for arbitration, and given that the hearing can often become contentious, all sides usually put a pretty earnest effort into avoiding going to such hearings.
With that in mind, numerous players have agreed to one-year contracts for the 2012 season on Tuesday in order to avoid arbitration and keep things a tad simpler. Here are the AL East players that have avoided arbitration by agreeing to deals on Tuesday, and numbers on players that didn't:Yankees
- Joba Chamberlain and David Robertson both signed one-year deals, according to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com. Joba will get about $1.7M and Robertson will get $1.6M with incentives, according to Jon Heyman.
- Russell Martin filed at $8.2M, the Yankees at $7M, according to Jon Heyman.
- Boone Logan filed for $2.1M, Yankees filed at $1.7M, according to Ken Davidoff.
- Brett Gardner filed at $3.2M, Yankees at $2.4M, according to Jon Heyman.
- Phil Hughes agreed to a 1-year deal worth $3.2M, reported yesterday.
- Alfredo Aceves - filed at $1.6M, Red Sox - $900k (Sean McAdam)
- Mike Aviles - signed for $1.2M, according to Rob Bradford.
- Andrew Bailey - filed at $4.7M, Red Sox - $3.35M (Sean McAdam)
- Daniel Bard - filed at $1.825M, Red Sox - $1.4M (Sean McAdam)
- Jacoby Ellsbury - signed for $8.05M, according to Rob Bradford.
- David Ortiz - filed at $16.5M, Red Sox - $12.65M, per Jon Heyman.
- Colby Rasmus agreed to a deal yesterday.
- Brandon Morrow filed at $4.2M, Blue Jays - $3.9M (Ben Nicholson-Smith)
- Casey Janssen filed at $1.8M, Blue Jays - $2.2M (Mike Wilner)
- Kelly Johnson signed for $6.375M and Ben Francisco signed for $1.54M (Blue Jays)
- Carlos Villanueva signed for $2.28M (MLB)
- Mark Teahen - unconditionally released (Blue Jays)
David Price signed for $4.35M
- B.J. Upton signed for $7M
- Burke Badenhop signed for $1.075M
- J.P. Howell signed for $1.35M
Jeff Niemann filed for $3.2M, Tampa countered with $2.75M. (all via Mark Topkin)
Adam Jones filed for $7.4M, Orioles - $5M
Robert Andino filed for $1.6M, Orioles - $1M
Jeremy Guthrie filed for $10.25M, Orioles - $7.25M
- Brad Bergeson filed for $1.2M, Orioles - $800k
- Jim Johnson signed for $2.625M
- Darren O'Day signed for $1.35M
- Dana Eveland signed for $750k (all via Dan Connolly)