March 7, 2011; Dunedin, FL, USA; A general view before a spring training game between the Toronto Blue Jays and the Boston Red Sox at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Derick E. Hingle-US PRESSWIRE
As we enter the third week of Spring Training action, teams have begun the slow process of fine-tuning their rosters by sending the first wave of prospects and non-roster invitees down to minor league camps.
Here is the news on that front, along with other minor league related info:
- The Blue Jays announced this morning they cut six players from Major League camp. No more cuts are expected until split-squad games end next week.
- Not to be left out, the Indians are re-assigning three players to minor league camp tomorrow:
- Curly W Live, the official Washington Nationals blog, takes a look at 6'9" pitching prospect Alex Meyer in their minor-league camp "Down on the Farm" series.
"What do we really know about Alex Meyer? It’s hard to say, at this early juncture, but this much is for sure – he’s got a build pitching coaches dream of, standing at an eye-popping 6’9"."
- Marc Hulet at Fangraphs has ranked the 30 minor league systems based on impact talent and overall depth. White Sox fans be warned.
- The Yankees Triple-A affiliate is changing their name this season as their home park undergoes renovations.