Mar 21, 2012; Glendale, AZ, USA; San Diego Padres second baseman Orlando Hudson (1) reacts after hitting a ball off his foot during the third inning against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Camelback Ranch. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-US PRESSWIRE
Here's some news, notes and analysis from the San Diego Padres:
- Newly acquired top catching prospect Yasmani Grandal isn't too happy with Nick Hundley's new contract extension. With Hundley signed through 2015, Grandal's path to the majors is blocked. While an injury could fix the situation and Grandal isn't likely to have too much time with the big club in 2012, the Padres will most likely have to trade either Grandal or Hundley in the next two years.
- Padres second basemen Orlando Hudson left Wednesday's game after aggravating his right groin running out a double-play ball in the third inning. Hudson was appearing in his first game since March 13. Manager Bud Black isn't worried, calling it just a "tweak."
- Myron Logan of Hardball Times asks five important questions about the Padres' 2012 season. This in-depth look at the Padres organization goes through the moves that led up to the season and asks who needs to step up to turn the Padres back into contenders.
- Kevin Kaduk of Big League Stew lists the top 10 best things about being a Padres fan. San Diego may not have the championships of the Cardinals or Yankees, but it's a beautiful place to catch a game. The number one best thing? A class act all the way.
- Gaslamp Ball reviews former Padres pitcher Dirk Hayhurst's book "Out of My League." The story of a career minor leaguer getting his shot at the show, jbox calls it the best baseball book of 2012.
- Check out the San Diego Padres Complete Organizational Depth Chart. This team is stacked with talent from the majors through the minors, learn your underrated starters and stars of tomorrow!