By: Michelle, a contributing writer for Gold Star Games, your tailgating games company.
Every child has a role-model. Whether they aspire to be a baseball player, football player or hockey player, every child has a professional athlete that they want to be just like when they grow up. In Major League Baseball, the pickings for role models seem to slim. In the age of performance enhancing substances, it is hard for children to pick a role model that their parents approve of. Here are list of some of the top baseball role models in the past decade.
- · Craig Biggio. With 3,000 hits in his career, Biggio was once a member of the dreaded “Killer B’s” with the Houston Atros. The other “Killer B’s” included Jeff Bagwell and Derek Bell. This trio wreaked havoc on opposing pitchers. Biggio is a quiet guy in a decade when a majority of player’s played an in-your-face style of baseball.
- · Torii Hunter. At 36 years of age, Torii Hunter is definitely role model material. He plays the outfield strong and bats just as strong. Hunter is constantly stealing home or making a spectacular diving catch. With over 300 homeruns, Hunter is great at the plate. He’s also designed The Torii Hunter Project as an off-field effort to give back to the community.
- · Todd Helton. Todd Helton is the pride of the Colorado Rockies and one of the best hitters around; perhaps even hall of fame worthy one of these days. With nearly 400 homeruns, Helton is clean. He’s stayed clear of the steroid scandal.
- · Roy Halladay. Roy Halladay is a dominant young pitcher. He has excellent control and amazing endurance. He’s already thrown a perfect game in the regular season and a no-hitter in the MLB playoffs. He is a poised player with plenty of modesty.
- · Sean Casey. Known by many as “The Mayor,” Casey is everyone’s friend. As a first baseman, he is known to carry on a conversation with every runner once they hit first base. With solid numbers and an amazing personality, Casey is now an analyst for the MLB network.
Who is your favorite baseball role model?