April 6, 2012; St. Petersburg, FL, USA; New York Yankees left fielder Brett Gardner (11) reacts after at bat against the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field. Tampa Bay Rays defeated the New York Yankees 7-6. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-US PRESSWIRE
Here's some injury news and updates from around the league:
- The New York Yankees have placed left fielder Brett Gardner on the 15-day DL due to a right elbow strain. New York recalled right-handed reliever Cody Eppley from Triple-A. Andruw Jones will most likely get the majority of the playing time in left with Gardner out.
- Detroit Tigers starter Doug Fister had to end a throwing session Tuesday due to abdominal pain. The Tigers are not calling it is a setback, however at this point it's unlikely Fister will come off the disabled list when he's eligible Monday.
- Injured Arizona Diamondback center fielder Chris Young has been diagnosed with a ligament tear in his right shoulder and deep bruise in his shoulder joint. Young injured his shoulder slamming into the outfield wall Tuesday. Gerardo Parra is expected to fill in for the injured Young.
- San Francisco Giants closer Brian Wilson will have Tommy John surgery on Thursday. This is Wilson's second Tommy John procedure, the first coming in 2003. The surgery will be performed by Dr. James Andrews.
- Cleveland Indians outfielder Grady Sizemore was cleared by doctors Wednesday to "initiate baseball activities next week." This good news could mean Sizemore will return to the Indians lineup as early as late May.