The Detroit Tigers interest in free agent Vladimir Guerrero is lukewarm, a source tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Spots. At this point, Morosi says it’s not clear if the Tigers will pursue Guerrero, who was released by the Toronto Blue Jays earlier this week.
#Tigers interest in free agent Vladimir Guerrero is lukewarm, source says. Not clear if they will pursue him at this point.— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) June 13, 2012
Guerrero gave the Blue Jays an ultimatum; he wanted to be called up to the major league level and wasn’t willing to continue playing in the minors. This resulted in the Blue Jays announcing they granted the request of Guerrero and released the 37-year-old.
After remaining on the market through the winter and spring, Guerrero signed a minor league deal with the Blue Jays on May 10. After Toronto released the veteran slugger, Guerrero’s agent confirmed his client is not looking to retire.
Over his 12 games with the Blue Jays Single- and Triple-A squads, Guerrero posted a line of .358/.364/.679 with eight extra-base hits and 12 RBIs. Last season over his 562 at-bats with the Orioles, Vlad maintained an OPS of .733 with 13 home runs, 30 doubles and 63 RBIs.
While Detroit’s offense hasn’t been the main cause of their struggles this season, Tigers designated hitters have combined to hit at a clip of only .228/.255/.348.