June 2, 2012; San Diego, CA, USA; San Diego Padres left fielder Carlos Quentin (18) runs after singling during the seventh inning against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Petco Park. Mandatory Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel-US PRESSWIRE
The Detroit Tigers have interest in trading for San Diego Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin, sources tell Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Last week, Buster Olney of ESPN said Quentin could be the most sought-after hitter this summer and that he would fit well with the Cincinnati Reds, Tampa Bay Rays, Cleveland Indians, Los Angeles Dodgers, Atlanta Braves, Toronto Blue Jays, Pittsburgh Pirates and Miami Marlins.
Morosi adds that Quentin’s salary this season ($7.025 million) is viewed as a possible impediment for the Tigers. It also isn’t clear if Detroit has engaged in serious trade talks with the Padres regarding Quentin, according to Morosi.
Since being activated from the disabled list and making his debut for the Padres, Quentin has been on fire. Over his 12 games the 29-year-old is hitting at a ridiculous clip of .421/.542/.921 with five home runs, four doubles and 10 RBIs.
Though he’s currently being used in left field by the Padres, Quentin was the Chicago White Sox primary right fielder last season. Tigers right fielders have combined to hit at a clip of only .223/.262/.344 this year.
This weekend, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reported that the Toronto Blue Jays are also expected to target Quentin if he’s made available this summer. The Padres have said they are open to the idea of re-signing Quentin, who will hit free agency following the season, but it’s uncertain if they’ll be able to afford the slugger.