Rick Scuteri-US PRESSWIRE
The Kansas City Royals made a significant dent in the number of unsigned players on their 40-man roster today. They announced the signing of seven players today.
As position players trickle into spring training camps to join their brethren who have already reported, many teams still have plenty of unsigned players. The Kansas City Royals were one such club. However, they managed to sign seven of those players in one fell swoop today.
According to a press release put out by the club this afternoon, the Royals have come to terms with Chris Dwyer, Donnie Joseph, Justin Marks, Everett Teaford, Nathan Adcock, Irving Falu, and Jarrod Dyson. The terms of the agreements were not immediately available.
You might be asking who each of these players are, so we have a quick breakdown for each:
- Chris Dwyer was drafted in the 36th round of the 2008 draft by the New York Yankees. He chose to go back to school and was drafted the next year out of Clemson University by the Royals. Dwyer has not yet cracked the Major League level, but the 24-year old pitcher made it to the Triple-A level last season. In his minor league career, he has a 24-26 record with a 4.99 ERA.
- Donnie Joseph was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2009 draft by the Cincinnati Reds. He was eventually dealt to the Royals last season where he spent time with the club's Triple-A affiliate. Joseph, a 25-year old lefty, has a career minor league ERA of 3.55. He has been used exclusively as a reliever at the minor league level.
- Justin Marks is another lefty pitcher and another player to be drafted twice. He was drafted in the 37th round of the 2006 draft by the Boston Red Sox, but he chose to go back to school. The Oakland A's then drafted him in the 3rd round of the 2009 draft. He was dealt to Kansas City in 2001. In his minor league career, Marks has a 17-28 record and a 4.57 ERA.
- Everett Teaford actually has some Major League experience under his belt. He was drafted in the 12th round of the 2006 draft and made his Major League debut in 2011. He is a 28-year old lefty pitcher who has started eight games in the Majors and made 44 appearances total. In his Major League career, he has a 4.27 ERA.
- Nate Adcock also has some Major League experience. He has pitched in each of the last two seasons for the Royals. Adcock has made 36 appearances for Kansas City and has posted a 3.79 ERA. He was drafted in the 5th round of the 2006 draft by the Seattle Mariner. Adcock was traded to the Royals in 2009.
- Irving Falu made his Major League debut last season on May 6th. He was drafted by the Royals in the 23rd round of the 2003 draft. He hung in there and has 91 at-bats at the Major League level. The 29-year infielder hit .341/.371/.435 last season.
- Jarrod Dyson is a 28-year old outfielder who has played parts of the last three seasons with the Royals. He was originally drafted in the 50th round of the 2006 draft. Dyson is a career .247/.320/.323 hitter in 146 games with the Royals.