The Chicago Cubs have informed right hander Matt Garza that he will likely be traded after contract talks failed to end with an extension according to a report from Jon Heyman of CBSSports. Garza has received interest from the Rangers, Indians, Red Sox and Cardinals.
Texas and Cleveland seem to be clear players while Boston's interest might depend somewhat on the return schedule of injured star Clay Buchholz, which is unclear. St. Louis is believed by others to be a stealth player in the derby for the red-hot righthander.
Garza has established himself as the top starter on the trade market in his last five starts, posting a 1.47 ERA, .225 BAA, 33 strike outs and three home runs in 36.2 innings.
Almost all contenders have at least checked in on the asking price for Garza, which will likely be high.
More from MLB Daily Dish:
- Cubs rumors: Sides making progress in Matt Garza talks
- Cubs discussing Matt Garza extension
- Yankees trade rumors: Hughes, Joba being shopped aggressively
- Red Sox trade rumors: Looking hard for bullpen help
- Join the MLBDD community and write a fanpost!