The 39-year old strained his right quad in his season debut last week against the Kansas City Royals, and has been day-to-day ever since.
Jeter, who missed the first half of the season due to the ankle injury he suffered last October, was 1-for-4 with a run in his season debut on Thursday.
His stint on the disabled list will be retroactive to July 12th, meaning he can return on July 27th in the Bronx against the Tampa Bay Rays. He is currently in Boston with the team.
Update 8:45 AM ET: The Yankees have made the move official.
More from MLB Daily Dish:
- Cubs asking for final offers for Garza
- Alex Rodriguez injury: Expects to be back Monday vs. Rangers
- Yankees rumors: New York inquired on Padres' Chase Headley
- Yankees trade rumors: Hughes, Joba being shopped aggressively
- Jurrjens elects for free agency