The bullpen has been a strength of the team all season, which makes Nathan expendable in a weak market for relievers.
Texas is looking everywhere for offensive help, and may be able to acquire a solid piece in a deal for Nathan.
With Neftali Feliz returning from Tommy John surgery around August 15th and Joakim Soria capable of closing in the meantime, Nathan's absence may be something that the Rangers can handle.
Rosenthal cites the Red Sox, Dodgers and Tigers as three teams who may look into the possibility of acquiring Nathan. All three teams have expressed consistent interest in available relievers, so they would naturally be drawn to Nathan if he is made available.
Nathan, 38, is 1-1 with a 1.73 ERA, 9.5 K/9 and 2.4 BB/9 in 44 appearances on the year. The six-time All-Star has converted 32 saves for the Rangers this season, and is a free agent this winter.
More from MLB Daily Dish:
- Orioles rumors: Baltimore interested in Michael Young, Justin Morneau
- Phillies willing to listen on Cliff Lee
- Rangers trade rumors: Texas targeting Rios, Pence, Morales
- Rangers trade for Matt Garza
- Yankees acquire Alfonso Soriano from Cubs