The Phillies are trying to sign Utley to an extension, as they consider him their "franchise player," and there's hope it can get done since Utley is said to love the Phillies. While Philadephia is listening on other star players -- including Cliff Lee -- they are apparently focusing today only an extension for Utley.
The Phillies and Utley are working on a contract extension that would make the homegrown star a "Phillie for life." Heyman suggests that the contract could be in the template of the Carlos Beltran contract with the St. Louis Cardinals in range of two years and $26M but could be in the range of three years.
Utley has had a solid year after having knee troubles the last couple of years. The second baseman is hitting .274 with 13 home runs, 36 RBI and a .835 OPS.
More from MLB Daily Dish:
- White Sox will not trade Chris Sale
- Braves acquire Scott Downs from Angels
- Rangers trade rumors: Joe Nathan available in search of offense
- Indians trade rumors: Cleveland has 'serious talks' for Rockies reliever Josh Outman
- Tigers acquire Jose Veras from Astros