- San Diego Padres starter Josh Johnson will undergo Tommy John surgery on Thursday to repair the damaged ulnar collateral ligament in his pitching elbow, according to MLB.com's Corey Brock. Johnson, who had yet to pitch this season due to a strained flexor muscle, was looking to improve upon a rough 2013 season in which he posted a 6.20 ERA in the hitter-friendly AL East. The Padres right-hander will likely be sidelined until mid-2015.
- An MRI showed Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Mark Trumbo has a stress fracture in his left foot, according to The Arizona Republic's Nick Piecoro. Trumbo will receive a second opinion on the injury, with details likely to surface in the next day or so.
- The Texas Rangers placed left-hander Pedro Figueroa on the 15-day DL with left elbow inflammation, Rangers VP of Communications John Blake announced. Figueroa has allowed seven runs (four earned) in nine innings across 10 appearances this season.
- The Boston Red Sox optioned struggling outfielder Daniel Nava to Triple-A Pawtucket, recalling right-hander Alex Wilson from Triple-A in a corresponding move, the team announced. Nava, who has posted a .149/.240/.269 slash line this season, hit .303 with an .831 OPS last season. However, the Red Sox didn't cut him any slack due to his prior success, demoting him after just 75 plate appearances.
- The Miami Marlins recalled right-handed reliever Carter Capps from Triple-A New Orleans, according to a team announcement. Capps struggled in 53 appearances with the Seattle Mariners last season, posting a 5.49 ERA along with a 1.63 WHIP, but he'll have an opportunity to improve in the more pitcher-friendly NL East.
- Pittsburgh Pirates first baseman Travis Ishikawa cleared waivers and elected for free agency after being sent outright to Triple-A Indianapolis, the team announced.
- The San Diego Padres traded right fielder Daniel Robertson to the Texas Rangers in exchange for cash considerations, according to an announcement from Rangers VP of Communications John Blake. The Oakland Athletics' first-round pick in 2012, Robertson has never appeared in a major league contest, but he was active for Wednesday night's contest against the A's.
- Rehab assignments: Mike Minor and Gavin Floyd (Atlanta Braves), Jacob Turner (Miami Marlins)
- Texas Rangers left-hander Martin Perez fired his second consecutive shutout, extending his scoreless innings streak to 26 innings in the Rangers' 3-0 win over the Oakland A's.
- Seattle Mariners third baseman Kyle Seager and Baltimore Orioles outfielder Nelson Cruz each homered twice and drove in five runs in their teams' victories.