- The Cincinnati Reds placed left-handed starter Tony Cingrani on the 15-day DL with shoulder tendinitis, the team announced. The Reds recalled right-handed prospect Curtis Partch from Triple-A Louisville to replace Cingrani.
The Baltimore Orioles activated third baseman Manny Machado from the 15-day DL and optioned Steve Lombardozzi to Triple-A Norfolk, the team announced.
Assessing top position player signings after April
The MLB offseason saw several big-name position players sign huge long-term contracts. The results have been mixed for those players during the first month of the season, but for the teams with struggling signees, there's no reason to panic...yet.
- The Toronto Blue Jays made a series of moves on Thursday, purchasing the contract of Steve Tolleson from Triple-A Buffalo and recalling Anthony Gose, also from Triple-A, according to a team announcement. To make room on the roster, the Jays designated right fielder Moises Sierra for assignment and optioned Jonathan Diaz to Buffalo.
- The New York Mets optioned Kirk Nieuwenhuis to Triple-A Las Vegas and activated center fielder Juan Lagares from the 15-day DL, per a team announcement.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers purchased the contract of Red Patterson from Triple-A Albuquerque and designated center fielder Nick Buss for assignment, the team announced. Patterson started the second leg of the Dodgers' doubleheader, going 4.2 innings and allowing one run on a pair of hits and three walks as the Dodgers won in 12 innings.
- The Los Angeles Angels optioned right-hander Yoslan Herrera to Triple-A Salt Lake, according to a team announcement.
- The Minnesota Twins recalled left-hander Kris Johnson from Triple-A Rochester, per a team announcement. Johnson pitched in the second leg of the Twins' doubleheader, going 4.1 scoreless innings, though he allowed four hits and six walks.
- The Milwaukee Brewers optioned Elian Herrera to Triple-A Nashville and recalled Rob Wooten from Triple-A Nashville, according to a team announcement.
- The Tampa Bay Rays recalled Brad Boxberger from Triple-A Durham, according to the Tampa Bay Times' Marc Tompkin.
- The Los Angeles Angels sent Michael Roth outright to Double-A Arkansas, according to the Los Angeles Times' Bill Shaikin.
The Baltimore Orioles activated left-hander Troy Patton from the restricted list, the team announced.
- The Atlanta Braves signed third baseman Chris Johnson to a three-year contract extension, buying out at least the final two years of Johnson's arbitration, according to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal. The financial terms of the deal aren't yet known, though Johnson stands to earn a handsome amount of money following his breakout 2013 season, in which he hit .321/.358/.457.