- Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig is considered day-to-day after colliding with the right field wall at Marlins Park on Sunday. Puig sat out the Dodgers' 4-0 loss to the Nationals on Monday.
Impact of Jay Bruce's Surgery on Reds
The Reds outfielder will miss up to a month after undergoing knee surgery. What exactly does that mean for Cincinnati? (Hint: It's not good.)
- The Cleveland Indians placed designated hitter Jason Giambi on the 15-day DL, retroactive to May 4, with a strained right calf, the team announced. Catcher Yan Gomes was activated from the paternity list to fill the vacant roster spot.
- The Colorado Rockies transferred right-hander Tyler Chatwood from the 15-day DL to the 60-day DL with a right elbow strain, according to a team announcement.
- The San Francisco Giants recalled right-hander Jake Dunning from Triple-A Fresno while officially placing starter Matt Cain on the 15-day DL, the team announced. Dunning went two-thirds of an inning without getting charged with a run on Monday, though he allowed a pair of inherited runners to score, both via wild pitches.
- The Seattle Mariners optioned outfielder Abraham Almonte to Triple-A Tacoma and recalled outfielder James Jones from Triple-A in a corresponding move, per a team announcement.
- Kansas City Royals optioned utilityman Jimmy Paredes to Triple-A Omaha and reinstated outfielder Lorenzo Cain from the disabled list, according to a team announcement.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates recalled Jeff Locke from Triple-A Indianapolis and optioned Casey Sadler to Triple-A, the team announced. Locke made his season debut against the Giants on Monday, going five innings and surrendering six runs on eight hits as the Pirates fell 11-10 in 13 innings.
- The Washington Nationals activated left fielder Scott Hairston from the 15-day DL and optioned Steven Souza Jr. to Triple-A Syracuse, per a team announcement.
- The San Diego Padres designated left fielder Xavier Nady for assignment and recalled outfielder/first baseman Kyle Blanks from Triple-A El Paso, the team announced.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers optioned right-hander Stephen Fife to Triple-A Albuquerque and recalled right-handed reliever Pedro Baez from Double-A Chattanooga in a corresponding move, according to a team announcement.
- The Colorado Rockies purchased the contract of right-hander Nick Masset from Triple-A Colorado Springs and optioned infielder Ryan Wheeler to Triple-A, the team announced.
- The Los Angeles Angels recalled right-hander Cory Rasmus from Triple-A Salt Lake and optioned third baseman Luis Jimenez to Triple-A in a corresponding move, per a team announcement.
- The Reds sent outfielder Roger Bernadina outright to Triple-A Louisville, though he'll be recalled again on Tuesday when Jay Bruce gets placed on the disabled list, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer's C. Trent Rosecrans.
- The Washington Nationals reportedly made an effort to extend starting pitcher Doug Fister's contract during the offseason, according to the Washington Post's Adam Kilgore. Here's what our own Justin Millar wrote about the failed long-term contract:
The two sides were ultimately unable to reach an agreement on a long-term deal, and instead came to terms on a one-year, $7.2 million contract for 2014 only. The Nationals acquired the right-hander in a trade with the Detroit Tigers in early December.