This story was approved by MLB Rumors.
- The Cubs are reportedly considering bringing in two Japanese pitchers to compete for a spot in the bullpen. The pitchers, Ken Kadokura and lefty Shigeki Noguchi, both were released by the Yomiuri Giants after the 2008 season. Both pitchers had success in Japan, and could find some success as a middle reliever with the Cubs. Not only that, but they could make Kosuke Fukudome feel a little more comfortable in the clubhouse.
- Free agent pitcher Brad Penny is reportedly coming to close to signing with a team. Penny was the NL starter in the All-Star Game in 2006, but struggled to stay healthy in 2008. The Cardinals and Red Sox are his most likely landing spots.
- The Rangers have yet to make an offer to Ben Sheets, the Dallas Morning News is reporting. Sources informed me that the Sheets race will likely heat up after Derek Lowe is signed. The market is reportedly bigger than originally thought, with at least 10 teams looking into signing him.
- The A's have inquired about free agent outfielder Garrett Anderson.
- The Orioles are looking at Michael Barrett and Greg Zaun.
- Eric Hinske is drawing interest from the Pirates, according to sources.