The Marlins have been busy over the last few days, and here's a little update, this from Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel.
- The Marlins biggest target right now is Nationals first-baseman Nick Johnson. Don't ask why because this makes no sense to me.
- Rodriguez does note that Johnson can only play first base, which would likely mean the Marlins would have to move Jorge Cantu to third base.
- The Marlins were in on George Sherrill, but ultimately they lost out to the Dodgers.
- The Marlins would love to have Heath Bell, but the Padres are asking for Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller, and unless that price drops, consider the Marlins out.
- The Marlins did contact the Blue Jays about Roy Halladay, but talks didn't go far. The Blue Jays were demanding outfield prospect Michael Stanton in any deal, and the Marlins have no intentions of trading him.
- The Royals rejected offers from the Marlins for Brian Bannister.
- The best possible pitching upgrade for the Marlins might be former Marlin Carl Pavano.