Is this a case of 'another one bites the dust' or should we, as fans question whether Red Sox David Ortiz might just be telling the truth? Here's what he said during a news conference Saturday afternoon:
"I definitely was a little bit careless back in those days when I was buying supplements and vitamins over the counter — legal supplements, legal vitamins over the counter — but I never buy steroids or use steroids,"
New information surfaced in this ongoing controversy that only muddies the waters for resolution. First of all, it turns out that only 96 players tested positive out of the 104 tested. Ortiz said he was not able to find out himself just what substance he tested positive for and it has been acknowledged already that some legal substances could result in positive tests.
This is an issue that just isn't going away. Last week, Henry Aaron, a respected voice in the world of baseball, recommended that the whole list be published as a way to put the controversy in the past. There are many legal and fairness issues surrounding the release of the list and it is not likely to happen soon. A promise was made by the commissioner's office and the players' union when these tests were taken that the names would not be released.
I watched the news conference and I thought Ortiz seemed genuine and forthright. He didn't come across as defensive or trying to make excuses. He seemed truly pained that his integrity was being called into question in a way that made it impossible for him to defend.
Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue, once and for all?