- The Yankees extended a seven year offer to free agent pitcher Cliff Lee today, and the Rangers are expected to do the same as well. The Carl Crawford signing really expedited Lee negotiations, an indication that they could wrap up sometime next week.
- The Orioles acquired shortstop J.J. Hardy and infielder Brendan Harris from the Minnesota Twins in exchange for minor league pitchers Jim Hoey and Brett Jacobson. The Orioles land a shortstop who will be more productive offensively than Cesar Izturis, last seasons Opening Day shortstop.
- Indians minor leaguer Josh Rodriguez, 25, was taken first overall in the Rule 5 draft today, being selected by the Pirates. He hit .297 with 13 home runs between Double-A and Triple-A.
- The Cubs are moving closer to making a trade for starting pitcher Matt Garza. The Cubs are going to have a surrender a valuable chip or two from their minor league system. One pitcher the Rays should target is Chris Archer, but he may be the Cub prospect with the most upside after the performance he put up last season.
- The Red Sox have made an offer to catcher Russell Martin.
- The Giants have made an offer to Edgar Renteria.
- The Brewers are the front runner for Carl Pavano, but an anonymous AL source says at least one team is making a serious run to bring in the veteran pitcher. It could be the Angels, who have stayed quiet today as the Yankees and Rangers bid up Cliff Lee.
- Albert Pujols won't negotiate midseason.
- Free pitcher Jason Grilli is looking to resurrect his career.