Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch previews St. Louis Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak's offseason plan. With the top priority obviously being to retain first baseman Albert Pujols, what else is on the team's shopping list? Let's take a look at the highlights from another well written piece from Strauss:
- St. Louis hopes to name a manager soon, perhaps by Monday. Ryne Sandberg, Jose Oquendo, Terry Francona are three of the six candidates that were interviewed for the job.
- Though Albert Pujols isn't expected to decide on his future until next month, the club and he may re-engage in contract talks during this week's general managers' meetings. Most recently, we've heard the Cardinals won't "greatly increase" their previous offer of $210 million from SI's Jon Heyman.
- The most pressing needs for the Cardinals will be to find a second left-handed reliever and clear up the middle infield situation.
- Strauss says Mozeliak projects internal option Daniel Descalso as next season's starting second baseman. Meaning Ryan Theriot would be a serious non-tender candidate.
- Lastly, the club will restart talks with free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal this week. The two parties put contract talks on hold in early September.