With Buster Posey likely out for the rest of the season and Eli Whiteside being the San Francisco Giants' only other option, let's take a look at what the Giants might be considering.
Matthew Pouliot of Hardball Talk and Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post both suggest that Ivan Rodriguez is a natural first-call by the Giants. The Nationals are quickly losing hope of contention and Rodriguez is still a "elite defensive catcher," according to Kilgore, which makes the 39 year-old catcher a viable candidate for trade.
The Nationals already have a younger option in Wilson Ramos, and Pouliot says Rodriguez is "very much believed to be available in trade talks."
Potential catcher options for the Giants:
- Ivan Rodriguez, being phased out in Washington and available for trade.
- Ryan Doumit, who is splitting time with Chris Snyder in Pittsburgh.
- Bengie Molina, currently a free agent.
- Kelly Shoppach, who the Rays might like to salary-dump the offensive disappointment in favor of John Jaso.
- George Kottaras, currently in Triple-A for the Brewers, and described by Pouliot as "better than everyone here except Doumit."
- Bobby Wilson, from whom the Angels would like to reclaim some value despite not really needing him.
- Taylor Teagarden, who has lost some value to the Texas Rangers and might be a younger option for the Giants.