Jonathan Mayo's latest is an overview of this year's class of pitchers, which he describes as more "quality college pitching this year than in any other in recent memory." He also suggests that the 2011 crop has every kind of pitcher a team might be interested in, from top-tier aces (but really, which team isn't interested in those?), quality lefties, and potential relievers.
One scout tells him that the lack of quality bats could make the pitching depth look better than it is, but time will tell.
Mayo's Top 10 Pitchers:
- Gerrit Cole, RHP, UCLA (1)
- Danny Hultzen, LHP, Virginia (3)
- Trevor Bauer, RHP, UCLA (6)
- Taylor Jungmann, RHP, Texas (7)
- Jed Bradley, LHP, Georgia Tech (8)
- Sonny Gray, RHP, Vanderbilt (10)
- Matt Barnes, RHP, Connecticut (14)
- Alex Meyer, RHP, Kentucky (20)
- Tyler Anderson, LHP, Oregon (24)
- Anthony Meo, RHP, Coastal Carolina (26)
The draft starts on June 6th -- just 10 days away.