Coming off a disappointing 2010 season, the Diamondbacks have gone 36-30 in 2011, and now sit just half a game out of first place in the NL West. In addition, they had two of the first seven overall picks in the 2011 MLB draft, so their future appears bright. Here's the latest on the DBacks --
- AZCentral.com's Nick Piecoro writes that DBacks GM Kevin Towers believes number-three overall pick Trevor Bauer won't take until the deadline to sign. He also said he's hopeful of the same for number-seven overall pick Archie Bradley.
- Piecoro also notes that INF Geoff Blum (knee) has started taking regular batting practice, while RHP Sam Demel (shoulder tendonitis) has been limited to flatground work.
- Kevin Towers doesn't believe that top prospect Jarrod Parker is far from contributing in the majors.
- AZ Snake Pit wants 1B Paul Goldschmidt to be called up to the majors.
- DBacks reliever Esmerling Vasquez is serving the second day of a two-game suspension, and is anxious to return.