The DL on the DL (Weekend Edition)
Updates from around Major League Baseball on players who are "freshly back" from the disabled list or "newly gone" to the DL.
Houston Astros LHP Wandy Rodriguez: Rodriguez was on the DL for a total of 20 days with fluid in his left elbow. Jeff Fulchino was optioned to Oklahoma City, meaning the Astros top prospect Jordan Lyles will stay in the rotation for now. So far, Lyles has started three games with a 4.15 ERA and a 4.0 K/BB ratio.
- Tampa Bay Rays 2B Elliot Johnson: Johnson was on the DL for a total of 19 days with a sprained left knee. Felipe Lopez was designated for assignment by the Rays.
- Pittsburgh Pirates C Chris Snyder - 60-Day DL, lower back injury: Catcher Wyatt Toregas was called up by the Pirates. Toregas has not played in the majors since 2009 and currently sports a career .164 batting average.
- Washington Nationals RHP Cole Kimball - 15-Day DL, Right shoulder inflammation: Ryan Mattheus was called up by the Nationals.
- Pittsburgh Pirates RHP Evan Meek - 15-Day DL retroactive to June 8th, Right shoulder tendinitis: Tim Wood was called up by the Pirates.
- Atlanta Braves 2B Martin Prado - 15-Day DL retroactive to June 8th, Staph infection: Brandon Hicks was recalled from Gwinnett by the Braves.
- Minnesota Twins CF Denard Span - 7-Day DL, Concussion: Rene Tosoni was recalled by the Twins.
- New York Yankees Bartolo Colon - 15-Day DL, Strained left hamstring: Hector Noesi was recalled by the Yankees.
- St. Louis Cardinals LF Allen Craig - 15-Day DL retroactive to June 8th, Right knee contusion: Andrew Brown was called up by the Cardinals.
- Texas Rangers 1B Mike Napoli - 15-Day DL, Strained left oblique: Taylor Teagarden was recalled from Round Rock by the Rangers.
- New York Yankees RHP Amauri Sanit - 15-Day DL retroactive to June 11th, Right elbow inflammation: Chris Dickerson was recalled by the Yankees.