With the weekend over, here's a look back at the top stories of the week here at MLB Daily Dish:
- The big news that came in late this week was the Angels' signing of staff ace Jered Weaver to 5 year, $85 Million contract extension. The extension covers his last arbitration year, as well as 4 years of free agency. Very nice move for the team to get him signed long-term.
- The MLB Draft Signing Deadline came and went, and we saw nearly every top pick signed. Satchel Price talked about the winners and losers of the deadline, along with the surprise signings.
- The Pirates were big winners in the draft, as they were able to get top pick Gerrit Cole signed to an $8M contract, 2nd round pick Josh Bell to a $5M contract, and even an overslot contract with 9th round pick Clay Holmes.
- The only first round pick not to sign was Blue Jays' pick Tyler Beede, who decided to attend Vanderbilt instead.
- The Astros completed their trade of Hunter Pence on Monday, selecting minor league OF Domingo Santana as the player to be named from the Phillies.
- Elsewhere, the Rockies officially completed their trade with the Indians by acquiring Drew Pomeranz. Unfortunately for them, Pomeranz is now likely out for the season after emergency appendicitis.
- In a surprise move, the Tigers acquired OF Delmon Young from the Twins in exchange for a pair of minor league pitchers.
- One part of the long nightmare came to a close for Cubs fans, as the Cubs fired general manager Jim Hendry officially on Friday. It was still a bit strange to find out that the Cubs had actually done this on July 22nd, and that Hendry had stayed to help through Friday.
- We had a pair of minor league players suspended for violating the drug testing policy, with Mark Rogers receiving a 25 game ban, and Mike Jacobs a 50 game ban for testing positive for HGH.
- The Pirates continued their spending, inking OF Jose Tabata to a potentially 9 year extension, and negotiating one with 2B Neil Walker.
- Much to the chagrin of some Royals fans, the team gave Jeff Francoeur a 2 year extension.
- I took a look back at the Dan Haren trade from 2007, and Ray Guilfoyle wonders whether the Giants should trade for a closer with Brian Wilson on the shelf.
- In news from the minors, we saw Red Sox' prospect Ryan Lavarnway called up by the team, and that Bryce Harper may miss the remainder of the season with a hamstring injury.
Be sure to stay with MLB Daily Dish for all the latest transaction news as we approach the waiver deadline.