Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post has the latest on the Prince Fielder rumors. The 31-year-old has yet to sign with a team this offseason, and he's now the top remaining free agent by far, as names like Albert Pujols, Jose Reyes, Yu Darvish are already off the table. Here's a summary:
- There are no indications that the sweepstakes is much closer to ending.
- Orioles GM Dan Duquette says that they're still "hanging in" to sign Fielder.
- The Ranger and Nationals are still considered the front-runners to sign him, but the Rangers have "downplayed their ability" to sign him following the Yu Darvish contract.
- Bob Simpson, Rangers co-chairman, says he'd rather extend Josh Hamilton than sign Fielder: "My personal preference, at this moment, would be to re-sign [Hamilton] instead of having Fielder."
- The latest Prince Fielder chatter around the league - Nationals Journal - The Washington Post Executives in Baltimore and Texas weigh in on the pursuit of Prince Fielder.