clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Jorge Soler Rumors: Cubs, Marlins Interested, Asking Price

February 23, 2012; Mesa, AZ, USA; Chicago Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer (left) talks to president Theo Epstein (right) during spring training at Fitch Park. Mandatory Credit: Kyle Terada-US PRESSWIRE
February 23, 2012; Mesa, AZ, USA; Chicago Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer (left) talks to president Theo Epstein (right) during spring training at Fitch Park. Mandatory Credit: Kyle Terada-US PRESSWIRE

As we wrote earlier, the Jorge Soler sweepstakes have officially begun as the 20-year-old Cuban outfielder has been cleared by the U.S. Treasury Department. Let's take a look at the latest news from the Soler sweepstakes...

  • After missing out on Yoenis Cespedes, the Miami Marlins have strong interest in Jorge Soler, reports Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald. One source tells Spencer that Soler has "Mike Stanton-like power" and projects to be a right fielder.
  • In the same Clark Spencer piece, it appears Soler's agent has told teams he already has offers on the table for $25 million. Quite an asking price for a player who is said to be a few years away from the majors.
  • The Chicago Cubs pursuit of the Cuban outfielder figures to intensify this week, writes Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune. Remember, the Cubs had reportedly agreed to a deal with Soler earlier in the year as well.