clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Padres Rumors: Quentin, Street, Volquez and Headley

June 2, 2012; San Diego, CA, USA;  San Diego Padres left fielder Carlos Quentin (18) runs after singling during the seventh inning against the Arizona Diamondbacks  at Petco Park.  Mandatory Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel-US PRESSWIRE
June 2, 2012; San Diego, CA, USA; San Diego Padres left fielder Carlos Quentin (18) runs after singling during the seventh inning against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Petco Park. Mandatory Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel-US PRESSWIRE

San Diego Padres general manager Josh Byrnes told Jayson Stark of ESPN that he’s definitely open to keeping slugger Carlos Quentin around beyond this year. While Quentin may not be in play, Stark believes several Padres players could be available, including Edinson Volquez, Huston Street and Chase Headley.

Byrnes called Quentin exactly what the Padres need. Quentin’s home run production in the middle of San Diego’s order and his intensity are reasons Byrnes gives as to why the Padres are open to keeping him around beyond this year.

Buster Olney of ESPN said earlier this week that Quentin could be the most sought-after hitter on the trade market. In his eight games since being activated from the disabled list, Quentin has posted an OPS of 1.734 with five home runs, four doubles and nine RBIs.

Stark speculated that right-handed starter Edinson Volquez, closer Huston Street and third baseman Chase Headley could all potentially be available this summer. Byrnes told Stark that if the Padres do decide to become sellers this year, "it will be at very high prices."