Everything in the AL East You Might've Missed
Miss a transaction, trade, or rumor in the American League East over the past week? No worries -- MLBDD has you covered! Here's everything we covered, oldest to newest:
Red Sox Rumors: Kelly Shoppach Candidate to be Traded
Jayson Stark spoke with a National League executive who believes Boston Red Sox backup catcher Kelly Shoppach is a candidate to be traded this summer.
Yankees Acquire Chris Schwinden; DFA Danny Farquhar
The New York Yankees have acquired right-hander Chris Schwinden off waivers from the Cleveland Indians, reports Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News.
Matt Garza Rumors: Orioles "In the Thick" of Talks with Cubs
Jayson Stark of ESPN expects Chicago Cubs right-hander Matt Garza to be traded this summer and if he is, it is expected to be a "heavy-duty kind of deal."
What's the AL East story of the week?
- Blue Jays Rumors: Encarnacion Likely to Become Available
Toronto Blue Jays first baseman/designated hitter Edwin Encarnacion could emerge as the top slugger on trade market this summer, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.
- Rays Rumors: James Shields, B.J. Upton and Carlos Pena
Buster Olney of ESPN reports that if the Tampa Bay Rays continue losing, they could make veteran players such as James Shields, B.J. Upton and Carlos Pena available.
- Red Sox Sign Andy LaRoche
The Boston Red Sox have signed free agent third baseman Andy LaRoche, according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com.
- Orioles Place Nick Johnson on DL; Recall Xavier Avery
The Baltimore Orioles have placed designated hitter/first baseman Nick Johnson on the 15-day disabled list with a wrist injury, reports Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com.
- Red Sox Sign Taiwanese Shortstop Tzu-Wei Lin
The Boston Red Sox have reached an agreement on a contract with 18-year-old Taiwanese shortstop Tzu-Wei Lin worth $2.05 million, reports Ben Badler of Baseball America.
- Yankees Rumors: Garcia, Phelps, Guthrie and Liriano
The New York Yankees are expected to look to handle the loss of Andy Pettitte and C.C. Sabathia from within, using a combination of Freddy Garcia, Adam Warren and David Phelps, reports Buster Olney of ESPN.
- Andy Pettitte Suffers Fractured Ankle; Out Six Weeks
New York Yankees starting pitcher Andy Pettitte has a fractured left ankle and will miss at least six weeks, tweets Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News.
- Blue Jays Rumors: No Big Trades Until Mid-July
The Toronto Blue Jays are not expecting to make any "big moves" until midway through July, reports Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.
- Yankees Rumors: New York Not Seeking Trades
New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is not seeking any trades at this time, reports Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News.
- Yankees Place CC Sabathia on DL with Groin Strain
- Red Sox Rumors: Starting Pitching Boston's Top Target
Now that Kevin Youkilis has been traded to the Chicago White Sox, things are expected to be quiet on the Boston Red Sox trade front as they assess whether they will be buyers or sellers, reports Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com.
- Clay Buchholz Out Indefinitely with Esophagitis
Boston Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz hit the team’s 15-day disabled list this weekend with what was termed a gastro-intestinal problem.
- Yankees Claim Danny Farquhar off Waivers
The New York Yankees have claimed right-hander Danny Farquhar off waivers from the Oakland Athletics, reports Bryan Hoch of MLB.com.
- Omar Vizquel to Retire at Season's End
Toronto Blue Jays infielder Omar Vizquel will retire at the end of the season, reports Didier Morais of NESN.
- Blue Jays Call Up Scott Richmond; Option Robert Coello
The Toronto Blue Jays have called up right-hander Scott Richmond from Triple-A, reports Brendan Kennedy of the Toronto Star.
- Orioles Release Miguel Tejada
The Baltimore Orioles granted infielder Miguel Tejada’s request to be released from the organization Monday, reports Roch Kubatko of MASN.
- Orioles Rumors: Mark Reynolds "More Than Available"
Baltimore Orioles corner infielder Mark Reynolds is "more than available" to teams looking for a right-handed bat, reports Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
- Toronto Blue Jays Sign Jamie Moyer
The Toronto Blue Jays have signed veteran left-hander Jamie Moyer to a minor league contract, reports Shannon Drayer of ESPN Seattle. Moyer has pitched for the Colorado Rockies and Baltimore Orioles’ Triple-A affiliate this season.
- Red Sox Rumors: Cody Ross, Daniel Nava
Boston Red Sox outfielders Cody Ross and Daniel Nava represent players who are beginning to get attention as possible bats to add to a struggling lineup, reports Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
- Blue Jays Moves: Adam Lind Recalled; Ben Francisco Activated
The Toronto Blue Jays have recalled first baseman Adam Lind from Triple-A and activated outfielder Ben Francisco from the disabled list, reports John Lott of the National Post.
- Orioles will "Absolutely" be Buyers at Trade Deadline
Baltimore Orioles GM Dan Duquette has stated his club will "absolutely" be buyers at the July 31 trade deadline, reports Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com.
- Matt Garza Rumors: Red Sox, Blue Jays, Cardinals Contact Cubs About six teams have been on the phone with Chicago Cubs general manager Theo Epstein consistently regarding right-hander Matt Garza, reports Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.