A collection of minor league news and rumors throughout the league:
- The Cubs have been busy with minor league signings, adding two players to the fold. As we first reported last night, ex-Padres farmhand Jeudy Valdez is heading to Chicago on a minor league deal. Also, a source confirms that catcher Eli Whiteside is signing a minor league deal with the team that includes a spring training invite.
- The White Sox have signed infielder Alex Liddi to a minor league deal, according to Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com. The deal includes a major league spring training invite. Liddi, 25, has major league experience with the Mariners and was traded to the Orioles midway through last season.
- The Phillies announced that they have signed right-hander Shawn Camp, left-hander Cesar Jimenez and outfielders Clete Thomas and Leandro Castro to minor league contracts with spring training invites. Jimenez and Castro re-signed with the team, while Thomas and Camp came from the Twins and Diamondbacks, respectively.
- The Rays signed right-hander Mark Lowe to a minor league deal with a spring training invite, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick. A source confirms that Lowe had six offers before deciding to sign with Tampa Bay. The reliever spent 2013 at Triple-A with the Angels and Nationals after being released by the Dodgers in March.
- The Blue Jays announced that they signed first baseman Dan Johnson to a minor league deal that includes a spring training invite. Johnson, who appeared in a few major league games with the Orioles in September, spent the majority of the year at Triple-A in the Yankees organization.
- The Red Sox made some moves, signing lefty Tommy Layne and infielder Mike McCoy to minor league deals while re-signing third baseman Mario Martinez, according to Matt Eddy of Baseball America. Layne spent last season with the Padres, and McCoy has been with the Blue Jays for the last four seasons.
- The Giants signed five minor league free agents: Jason Berken, Caleb Clay, Guillermo Quiroz, Daryl Maday and Mason Tobin. Berken has major league experience and spent 2013 at Triple-A with the White Sox, and Quiroz saw major league time with San Francisco last season.
- Ex-Indians infielder Juan Diaz heads to the Marlins on a minor league deal, according to Eddy.
- The Reds signed a handful of minor league free agents: Lee Hyde, Rey Navarro, Mike Wilson, Rossmel Perez and Max Ramirez.
- The Rockies signed left-hander Pedro Hernandez to a minor league contract. The ex-White Sox pitcher saw major league time with the Twins in 2013.
- As we first reported on Thursday, right-hander Juan Gonzalez is going to the Dodgers on a minor league deal. According to Eddy, he will be joined by righty Justin Souza.
- The Yankees brought back right-hander Jim Miller on a minor league deal, as we first said two weeks ago.
- A source confirms that the Padres are close to signing Anthony Carter to a minor league deal, as MLB.com's Corey Brock first reported last night. The right-hander spent 2013 with the Red Sox' Triple-A affiliate.
- The Rangers are open to a reunion with free agent Joe Benson, a source confirms. Benson was acquired from the Twins midway through last season.
- The Red Sox and infielder Brandon Snyder are mutually interested in bringing Snyder back to the organization, a source confirms. Snyder is considering his options after appearing in 27 games with the World Champions in 2013.
- Left-hander Ryan Rowland-Smith has offers from three unknown teams and is likely to sign soon, according to a source.
- First baseman Travis Ishikawa, who appeared in the majors with the Orioles and Yankees in 2013, has received four offers to this point and is expecting to receive more, according to a source.
- Right-hander Jared Wells, who saw major league time with the Mariners and Padres in 2008, is looking to make a comeback, according to a source. A few teams have inquired on him.
Follow @mlbdailydishFollow @SBNationMLB