clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Ian Stewart injury: Cubs 3B to begin season on DL

The Chicago Cubs will place third baseman Ian Stewart on the disabled list to start the regular season.

USA TODAY Sports

The Chicago Cubs will place third baseman Ian Stewart on the disabled list to start the regular season due to a quadriceps injury, according to Paul Sullivan of The Chicago Tribune.

Bleed Cubbie Blue: The 2013 Cubs By The Numbers

Stewart has yet to appear in a Cactus League contest this spring, and he aggravated his quad injury during a minor league exhibition game last Thursday. He told reporters that he can hit and take grounders at third, but he's unable to run on the leg. While he's taken a significant amount of time off this spring, Stewart "doesn't feel like" his injury has been healing.

The Cubs have said that Stewart has experienced fluid buildup in his quad, causing significant pain that the third baseman says is "just too much" to play through. Without Stewart on their active roster, the Cubs will use Luis Valbuena and Brent Lillibridge at third base.

The Cubs non-tendered Stewart earlier this offseason before re-signing him to a $2 million contract. Last year, the 27-year-old hit .201/.292/.335 with five doubles and five home runs over 202 plate appearances in his first season with Chicago. He owns a career batting line of .232/.319/.417 over six seasons in the majors.

Beyond Stewart, the Cubs are also expected to start the regular season without starting pitchers Matt Garza and Scott Baker.

More from MLBDD: