The regular season will begin Sunday night when the Texas Rangers take on the Houston Astros. In preparation to the first pitch of the 2013 campaign, teams are making moves to set their 40-man rosters. Here are all of today's roster moves in one place!
- The Seattle Mariners have designated outfielder Casper Wells for assignment, reports Greg Johns of MLB.com, meaning that Jason Bay has been awarded the M's final Opening Day roster spot. The Mariners have purchased the contract of right-hander D.J. Mitchell to occupy the 40-man roster spot vacated by Wells, reports Shannon Drayer of ESPN Radio. Mitchell has been optioned to Triple-A.
- The Oakland A's have claimed right-hander Danny Otero off of waivers from the New York Yankees, while also designating first baseman Daric Barton and left-hander Travis Blackley for assignment, the team has announced.
- The Cleveland Indians have designated left-hander David Huff for assignment, the team has announced. Cleveland had been shopping Huff -- who was recently told that he would not be on the team's Opening Day roster. They were unable to find a taker, and were forced to remove him from the 40-man.
- The Kansas City Royals have placed left-hander Danny Duffy on the 15-day DL and selected the contract of infielder Miguel Tejada, the team has announced. Duffy is still a few months out in his recovery from Tommy John surgery.
- The Tampa Bay Rays have designated catchers Robinson Chirinos and Stephen Vogt for assignment, the team has announced. Chirinos and Vogt were designated to open space on the team's roster for first baseman Shelley Duncan and relievers Jamey Wright and Juan Carlos Oviedo. Tampa Bay then transfered Oviedo to the 60-day disabled list.
- The Boston Red Sox have designated corner infielder Mauro Gomez for assignment to make room on their roster for outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. The Sox have also granted outfielder Ryan Sweeney his release.
- The New York Yankees have designated left-hander Clay Rapada for assignment to make room on the roster for first baseman Lyle Overbay, reports Bryan Hoch of MLB.com. Rapada, who is battling shoulder bursitis, could have been a 60-day DL candidate, but the club opted to let him go instead. The team has also announced the outright of right-hander Sam Demel to Triple-A.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers have placed right-hander Chad Billingsley, southpaw Scott Elbert, and third baseman Hanley Ramirez on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 22, the team has announced. Left-hander Ted Lilly has also been put on the 15-day DL, but his stint is retroactive to March 28.
- The Colorado Rockies have designated catcher Ramon Hernandez and right-hander Will Harris for assignment in order to add catcher Yorvit Torrealba and right-hander Chris Volstad on the roster, the team has announced.
- The Arizona Diamondbacks have signed utility man Nick Evans to a minor-league deal, reports Adam Rubin of ESPN. He will report to Double-A to start the year.
- The Cincinnati Reds have designated infielder Jason Donald for assignment and outrighted right-hander Jose Arredondo to Triple-A, according to John Fay of The Cincinnati Enquirer.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates have placed infielder Brandon Inge and starting pitchers Jeff Karstens, Francisco Liriano, and Charlie Morton on the 15-day DL to finalize their roster, the team has announced.
- The Chicago Cubs have placed second baseman Darwin Barney on the 15-day DL and designated right-hander Robert Whitenack for assignment, reports Carrie Muskat of MLB.com. The Cubbies also released left-hander Dontrelle Willis and former first-round pick Hayden Simpson earlier in the weekend, per Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune.
- The Miami Marlins have placed first baseman Logan Morrison, outfielder Alfredo Silverio, and right-hander Jose Ceda on the 60-day DL, reports Joe Frisaro of MLB.com. The club has also moved catcher Jeff Mathis and first baseman Joe Mahoney to the 15-day DL and made several other roster additions and subtractions that we recapped here and here.
- The Atlanta Braves have purchased the contract of catcher Evan Gattis and placed Jonny Venters on the 15-day DL (retroactive to March 27) with a left elbow sprain, the team has announced.