Just announced: #STLCards promote C Rob Johnson, release IF Ty Wigginton.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 9, 2013
Wigginton was signed to a two-year, $5MM deal this offseason and was played sparingly by manager Mike Matheny, logging only 63 total plate appearances and hitting only .158. In his place, the Cardinals purchased the contract of catcher Rob Johnson from Triple-A Memphis.
The possibility of Wigginton's release was first brought up by Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, who said that the team was looking to make a roster move involving the 35-year old before tonight's game. Now a free agent, the veteran will try to latch on with a team looking for veteran leadership and versatility.
The New York Yankees, who have been known to be in the market for a utility player, may have interest in Wigginton in the next couple of weeks.
More from MLB Daily Dish:
- Biogenesis investigation: Suspensions coming for Braun, A-Rod, others
- Yankees trade rumors: Hughes, Joba being shopped aggressively
- Indians trade rumors: Tribe looking at Garza, Gallardo
- Phillies interested in Joba Chamberlain
- San Francisco Giants sign Jeff Francoeur
- Join the MLBDD community and write a fanpost!