With one World Series front-runner and two teams chasing after a wild card spot, the AL Central was the center of the very small hurricane known as the 2013 MLB Trade Deadline. Each team had room for improvement and many moves to do just that.
- The Tigers are one of the World Series favorites with their strong pitching rotation and their Cabrera/Fielder-led offense. Their bullpen was their biggest weakness due to the absence of a closer. In addition, the Biogenesis investigation created a need for shortstop due to the impending suspension for Jhonny Peralta.
- Tigers get infielder Iglesias in Red Sox/White Sox Peavy deal. - The Tigers gave up power-hitting outfield prospect Avisail Garcia to receive, essential, a direct-opposite of Garcia. In the trade that centered around the Red Sox landing Jake Peavy, the Tigers acquired slick-fielding shortstop José Iglesias. Iglesias is one of the best fielding shortstops in the league, but has fallen off the table after hitting .435 in his first 28 games.
- Tigers acquire Jose Veras from Astros - The Tigers needed a closer. They got one that pitched in a low-pressure market with no playoff-aspirations. After the implosion of Mark Melancon in Boston after arriving from Houston, it will interesting to see how Veras does in Detroit.
Tigers rumors: Miguel Cabrera, club expect extension deal - The Tigers and the greatest hitter of this generation are discussing a contract extension.
- Manager Terry Francona has turned the fortunes of this franchise around. Subsequently, they were pretty active at the trade deadline.
Indians acquire Marc Rzepczynski from Cardinals - The worst part of this trade is not how hard Rzepczynski's name is to spell. It's how bad his 7.84 ERA is.
Indians sign J.C. Romero to minor league deal - The Cleveland Indians announced that they have signed left-hander J.C. Romero to a minor league deal and assigned him to Triple-A Columbus.
Indians sign Clay Rapada to minor league deal - After being released by the Yankees, lefty Clay Rapada has signed with the Cleveland Indians.
- The Royals were in an odd spot going into the trade deadline. GM Dayton Moore seemingly doesn't know whether or not his team is good enough to be a contender. There was pressure to both sell off and acquire more pieces.
- What to do? Well, as the links show it's obvious GMDM has as much of a clue as anyone. (none):
- Royals acquire Justin Maxwell from Astros- The big trade for the Royals was (drumroll please...) JUSTIN MAXWELL!! Oh.
- MLB trade rumors: Royals looking at Beckham, Weeks and Kendrick - The Royals looked at some second base options, which alas, led to nothing.
- Royals trade rumors: Luke Hochevar more likely to be dealt than Ervin Santana - The Royals' most tradable piece was not traded after all.
- Red Sox rumors: Team scouted Royals' Hochevar - The Red Sox scouted Royals reliever Luke Hochevar in their attempts to find a piece to add to their bullpen. Nothing happened.
- Royals trade rumors: Kansas City interested in Alex Rios - Instead, they acquired Justin Maxwell. Fun!
- Royals trade rumors: Kansas City willing to listen on Santana - MLB Daily Dish- Ervin Santana's price tag was mind-numbingly high.
- Royals acquire Gorkys Hernandez from Marlins - The 25-year old heads to the fifth organization of his career.
- Royals claim Pedro Ciriaco off waivers from Padres - The 27-year old heads to his third organization of the year.
- Kansas City Royals sign Jason Bergmann - The former National heads to the Royals organization after posting a 0.31 ERA in 29 appearances with the Sugar Land Skeeters of the Atlantic League.
- If the team's biggest acquisition were Gorkys Hernandez, Pedro Ciriaco and Justin Maxwell, was that team really a buyer?
- They gave up Jake Peavy in exchange for Avisail Garcia. Pretty decent haul.
- White Sox trade rumors: Alex Rios deal unlikely - The Pirates and Rangers are now said to have lukewarm interest in the outfielder.
- The Twins are in a bad place.
- Minnesota Twins rumors: Ready to trade Morneau, not trading Perkins - The Twins were ready to trade former MVP Justin Morneau. Nobody bit. Oh well.
More from MLB Daily Dish:
- MLB Trade Deadline Winners and Losers
- Biogenesis scandal: MLB preparing lifetime ban for Alex Rodriguez
- Dodgers acquire catcher Drew Butera from the Twins in thrilling last minute deadline deal
- Rangers are out on Michael Young, No deal in the works for the Phillies infielder now
- Orioles acquire Bud Norris from Astros