The Texas Rangers have had quite the past few days:
- Lefty Derek Holland was placed on the 60-day disabled list with discomfort in his left shoulder.
- In order to replace Holland in the rotation, the Rangers claimed from the Pittsburgh Pirates and then activated Stolmy Pimentel. The 25-year-old pitched in 20 games for the Pirates, posting a 5.23 ERA in 32.1 innings pitched. He has already made an appearance for the Rangers, allowing one run and three hits in 2.1 innings of relief against the Los Angeles Angels on Monday.
- The Rangers already over-worked bullpen isn't helping the rotation, says TR Sullivan, but notes they could get Tanner Scheppers (ankle) back as early as Wednesday.
- Further complicating the Rangers' pitching depth, Lisalverto Bonilla is slated have Tommy John Surgery. Lone Star Ball notes that while he wasn't due for big-league actin any time soon, this certainly doesn't help their current crisis.
- Another injury for the Rangers has put outfielder Ryan Rua on the shelf. Carlos Peguero has been recalled from Round Rock to replace Rua on the 25 man roster. The former Seattle prospect has made an immediate impact since being called up, having four hits in his first ten at-bats as a Ranger.
- Evan Grant suggests that the Rangers will be without Rua for at least a month. Rua will be in a walking boot for three weeks before a follow-up scan to determine the next step.
- Righty Kyuji Fujikawa could be on a rehab assignment in the next couple days.