Ottavino became the fourth Rockies pitcher to earn a save in 2015 after LaTroy Hawkins, John Axford and Rafael Betancourt. Hawkins was removed from the closer's role after blowing his second straight save against the Cubs on Sunday. Weiss initially announced the closer job would be handled by committee before giving the job to Ottavino full time.
Ottavino recorded a lone save last season, posting a 3.60 ERA in 65 innings pitched in a setup role.
National League West Standings 4/15:
NL West News & Notes 4/15:
- After tossing the longest perfect relief outing in Padres history, right-hander Odrisamer Despaigne was again solid in his first start of 2015, allowing a run on two hits in seven innings against Arizona.
- Despaigne started in place of Ian Kennedy, who is on the disabled list with a hamstring injury, and could create an issue for the Padres when Kennedy returns, as he now has an ERA of 3.08 in his two seasons, including a 1.64 mark at Petco Park.
D-backs would like to get Jake Lamb more at-bats vs. left-handed pitchers - arizonasports.com
"'I would like to,' [Manager Chip Hale] answered when asked if he sees Lamb getting more at-bats against left-handed pitchers as the season progresses. 'I would really like to see him, especially (against) guys who are more soft-tossing lefties, not the real hard guys who can kind of bust him and then go away.'"
- Diamondbacks starters can't go deep: is it a problem? - AZ Snake Pit
"It certainly seems like a problem, and an average of 5.014 IP/GS seems to be low. But are they really?"
- Remembering the early slumps you've already forgotten - McCovey Chronicles
"I'm here to make you comfortable, then. Here, pull up a chair. Relax. It's been nine games. To prove this, I'm going to present the nine-game slumps you've already forgotten about."
If youth is served, the Rockies could end up in a good place - Purple Row
"The Rockies are not a contender on paper, but when you take all the young talent they have into account, it's pretty easy to see why their stock in the NL West is probably about to trend up."
- Dodgers claimed LHP Ryan Dennick from the Cincinnati Reds, designating David Huff for assignment.
- Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig is going to cut down on bat flips in order to respect "American baseball," according to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times.
Dodgers must let Yasiel Puig BOUNCE - MLB Daily Dish
Yasiel Puig and his enthusiasm are essential to the Dodgers' success in 2015, says Mike Bates.
- Looks like the Dodgers will be without their wild stallion for another day:
Puig not in Dodgers lineup again.— Dylan Hernandez (@dylanohernandez) April 15, 2015
Time to worry?