Rays starter Chris Archer had already plunked two Blue Jays during the 7th and Toronto didn't take to kindly to that. Toronto righty Marco Estrada, a college teammate of Longoria, took matters into his own hands and plunked Longoria in the hip.
Longoria, including last night's contest, has the longest current streak in the majors of consecutive games played at 252. That streak may be in jeopardy, though Longoria wants to play Friday according to Mark Topkin.
DRaysBay breaks the sequence down with GIFs and video here. Worth a look.
AL East standings 4/17:
AL East news & notes 4/17:
- Longoria's injury isn't the only news coming out of Tampa. The Rays, according to the team, have signed catcher . Last season with Texas, Arencibia struggled with a .177 batting average and a .239 on-base percentage. to a minor league deal
- The move gives the Rays depth at multiple positions, including first base.
- That Blue Jays/Rays game last night had another big injury. Jose Reyes left the game in the first inning with what is being described as soreness in his side. Reyes has been battling some discomfort in his left oblique over the past week and will not play Friday night, according to Gregor Chisholm.
What Did Marcus Stroman Do to His ACL? - awesome fan post at Bluebird Banter
"...So the kid's probably right around weight bearing with impact drills right now. He's walking and pedalling his stationary bike with pressure on the pedals and weight training in the pool. He's got his eye set on strengthening work and will be attempting to keep from getting lopsided as his uninjured right leg is far stronger than his injured left."
Blue Jays Call Up Ryan Goins, Designate Todd Redmond For Assignment - Bluebird Banter
The Blue Jays are back to a seven-man bullpen with expected recall of Ryan Goins and the team DFA'd Todd Redmond.
- The New York Yankees may be trying to shore up second base for the long term, targeting Braves infield prospect Jose Peraza. On the other side of the diamond, the Didi Gregorius trade hasn't looked good for the Yankees so far while Shane Greene has been great for the Tigers.
- Boston fans received some good news Thursday, as reliever Brandon Workman was able to avoid Tommy John surgery on his elbow.
Red Sox proving they don't need an ace - Over the Monster
Over the past four games, the Red Sox pitching staff has given fans reason to worry. But it's not an ace the rotation needs...