Rodriguez has hit four home runs in 15 games this season and is just three shy of passing Mays' career mark of 660, but the team is arguing his suspension for performance enhancing drug use voids the clause in his contract that would pay him $6 million when he does so.
AL East standings 4/23:
AL East news & notes 4/23:
- The Yankees need to make Carlos Beltran a platoon player - Pinstripe Alley
"It's time for the Yankees to make Carlos Beltran a platoon player and sit him against lefties."
- Ramon Flores is forcing the issue, but the Yankees don't have a spot for him - River Avenue Blues
"The problem is the Yankees have no real spot for Flores on the roster. Not now and probably not next year either. Brett Gardner and Jacoby Ellsbury are two of the best players on the team, and, like it or not, Carlos Beltran‘s contract and track record mean he’s going to have a very long leash. It’s not going to take one injury for Flores to get a chance with the Yankees, it’ll probably take two injuries because Chris Young and Garrett Jones are ready to step in if an outfielder gets hurt. It could happen, sure, but a lot needs to go wrong."
- MLB considering suspensions for Blue Jays, Orioles - MLB Daily Dish
Players may be disciplined for an incident involving Jose Bautista, among others.
- Blue Jays place Dioner Navarro on the DL - Bluebird Banter
Josh Thole has been recalled from Buffalo.
- Rays replacements coming through, Elmore and Dykstra plate runs - DRaysBay
"Dykstra scored one on his single up the middle, and was lifted for the newly promoted Jake Elmore as a pinch runner. He came around and scored on a slide into home from Brandon Guyer's single to center. In the following inning, Jake Elmore got his first plate appearance and promptly homered off the formidable Edward Mujica."
- Is Deven Marrero learning new positions to set up a Red Sox trade? - Over the Monster
"If he keeps hitting at Triple-A and is suddenly a more than capable defender at one or two other positions, he could be a much more appealing prospect to more team than if he were just a shortstop."
- John Farrell explains why he isn’t going to bring in defensive replacements for Hanley Ramirez - WEEI
"Farrell has implemented defensive replacements before early in the season, using Rajai Davis to come on late in games to roam the outfield. But the difference was that replacing Eric Thames is a whole lot different than taking out Ramirez."