New York was notably active in the days leading up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. The Mets added major league talent while the rest of the division sold key pieces in exchange for prospects.
New York Mets
Games back in Division: --
Games back of Wild Card: --
- Acquired Yoenis Cespedes from the Tigers in exchange for Michael Fulmer and Luis Cessa.
- Acquired pitcher Tyler Clippard from the Athletics in exchange for cash considerations and prospect Casey Meisner.
- Acquired Kelly Johnson, cash, and Juan Uribe from the Braves for Rob Whalen and John Gant.
- Promoted top prospect Michael Conforto
- David Wright, spinal stenosis
- Zack Wheeler, recovering from Tommy John surgery
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis, pinched nerve in back
- Rafael Montero, right rotator cuff inflammation
- Steven Matz, partial lat tear
- Erik Goeddel, right elbow strain
- Josh Edgin, recovering from Tommy John surgery
- Michael Cuddyer, bone bruised in knee
- Buddy Carlyle, recovering from hip surgery
- Jerry Blevins, left forearm fracture
Recap: New York consistently found itself sitting in second place in the division before adding several notable pieces before the deadline. Cespedes gives the Mets a power bat in the outfield and the addition of Clippard will likely make a strong bullpen even better. The Mets have a lead in the division and it might stay that way in the coming weeks
Games back in Division: 1.5
Games back of Wild Card: 4.0
- Acquired Jonathan Papelbon from the Phillies in exchange for cash and Nick Pivetta. Subsequently exercised Papelbon's 2016 option.
- Dan Uggla, back spasms
- Craig Stammen, recovering from right forearm surgery
- Denard Span, back tightness
- David Carpenter, right shoulder inflammation
Recap: Washington was in pursuit of a top bullpen arm and was able to add one by acquiring Papelbon. The club's lineup has been inconsistent at times and Stephen Strasburg is having an off year. However, the Nationals still appear to have positioned themselves well to make a run at a Wild Card spot.
Games back in Division: 8.5
Games back of Wild Card: 11.0
- Acquired Rob Whalen and John Gant from the Mets in exchange for Kelly Johnson, Juan Uribe, and cash considerations.
- Acquired Hector Olivera, Paco Rodriguez, and Zachary Bird in exchange for Jose Peraza, Alex Wood, Jim Johnson, Luis Avilan, and Bronson Arroyo.
- Paco Rodriguez, left elbow strain
- Mike Minor, recovering from shoulder surgery
- Jason Grilli, left Achilles tear
- Freddie Freeman, left oblique strain
- Jason Frasor, right shoulder strain
- Brandon Cunniff, right groin strain
Recap: Atlanta appeared to be in rebuilding mode but added major league talent before the deadline. Olivera will likely prove to be a key bat in the Braves' lineup moving forward and the club was able to get prospects in exchange for Uribe and Johnson. The Braves will likely compete in 2016 and now have the depth to do so.
Games out in Division: 15.5
Games out of Wild Card: 18.0
- Traded closer Jonathan Papelbon to the Nationals in exchange for Nick Pivetta.
- Traded Cole Hamels to Texas in exchange for Matt Harrison, Jorge Alfaro, Jake Thompson, Alec Asher, Nick Williams, and Jerad Eickhoff.
- Traded Ben Revere to Toronto for Jimmy Cordero and Alberto Tirado.
- Cliff Lee, left common flexor tendon tear
- Chad Billingsley, right flexor strain
Recap: Still rebuilding, the Phillies were able to add several prospects in deals for Hamels and Papelbon. Revere likely does not figure into their future plans and the organization might improve starting in 2016.
Games back in Division: 16.5
Games back of Wild Card: 19.0
- Traded Steve Cishek to St. Louis in exchange for Kyle Barraclough.
- Traded Mat Latos and Michael Morse to Los Angeles for Kevin Guzman, Jeff Brigham, and Victor Araujo.
- Traded their competitive balance pick to the Braves.
- Traded Dan Haren to Chicago for Elliot Soto and Ivan Pineyro.
- Traded reliever Sam Dyson to Texas for Tomas Telis and Cody Ege.
- Jose Urena, left knee contusion
- Giancarlo Stanton, recovering from hand surgery
- Jose Fernandez, right shoulder stiffness
- Carter Capps, right elbow strain
- Henderson Alvarez, recovering from shoulder surgery
Recap: Miami was able to get rid of Cishek's and get something in return for impending free agents Dan Haren and Mat Latos. Dyson never had a defined role with the Marlins and Michael Morse struggled throughout the first half of 2015.