Oakland is considering hiring former Diamondbacks manager Chip Hale to be its third base coach next season, according to Susan Slusser of The San Francisco Chronicle.
Hale is familiar with the organization, having served as the Athletics’ bench coach between 2012 and 2014. Ron Washington decided to join Atlanta’s coaching staff, creating the vacancy.
Arizona fired Hale earlier this month, but he could find himself in a dugout again relatively quickly.
More from around the American League West:
- Texas has to decide if it wants to construct a roster with the intention of competing in 2017 or fielding a team that is competitive routinely.
- 2016 was an odd season for the Mariners, who can now focus on upgrading their roster this winter.
- The Astros probably won’t be able to spend a significant amount of cash this off-season.
- Los Angeles has to decide whether Nate Smith will be in the starting rotation next season.
- The Athletics probably have a better chance of making the playoffs next season than you think.