Though the Pirates have yet to make free agent starter Derek Holland an offer, Holland is interested in joining Pittsburgh next season, according to Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
The Pirates don’t have much experienced depth beyond Gerrit Cole and as a result seem to be open to signing an affordable veteran such as Holland.
Holland struggled last season with the Rangers, pitching to a 4.95 ERA and 4.75 FIP over 107.1 innings. Texas declined Holland’s option for next season, making him a free agent.
More from around the National League Central:
- Anthony Rizzo and Jake Arrieta both received Silver Slugger Awards, the most recent Cubs to be recognized since Aramis Ramirez won in 2011.
- The Cardinals and Marlins could prove to be ideal trade partners this winter.
- Pittsburgh is considering moving Andrew McCutchen to right field.
- Craig Counsell will be remaining with the Brewers for a while after signing an extension through 2020.
- Adam Duvall could end up on Baltimore’s radar this winter.