Before free agent lefty Brett Cecil signed a four-year deal with the Cardinals, the Yankees were among the teams in pursuit of him, according to Joel Sherman of The New York Post.
The Mariners and Cubs were also interested, according to Sherman.
Now that Cecil is off the market, teams seeking left-handed depth could consider options such as Boone Logan.
More from around the American League East:
- The Red Sox have a notable number of right-handed hitters but that doesn’t mean they need to add left-handed depth.
- Though it might not seem obvious, the Orioles would probably be OK without signing a catcher this offseason.
- Toronto is interested in Jerry Blevins, who could serve as a replacement for Cecil in the Blue Jays bullpen.
- The Rays missed out on the opportunity to sign free agent catcher Jason Castro.
- The Yankees are looking for a backup first baseman, and Adam Lind might be an ideal option.