Boston will seek a setup man and designated hitter this offseason, according to Evan Drellich of The Boston Herald.
Now that David Ortiz is retiring, the Red Sox will be forced to consider other alternatives, specifically to provide power in the middle of the lineup. Boston has been linked to Edwin Encarnacion, though the organization could also turn to internal options.
With regard to the bullpen, the Red Sox could pursue Greg Holland, who has a showcase scheduled. Re-signing Koji Uehara might also be an option.
More from around the American League East:
- The best thing for the Orioles to do this offseason might be to keep most of their current roster in tact.
- Tampa Bay made a series of notable front office moves Saturday.
- Firing Kevin Long might not have been the best Yankees move.
- It seems Toronto has already transformed its identity.
- With regard to baserunning, things should only be getting better for the Red Sox.