Though Andrew McCutchen’s name was mentioned in trade rumors throughout the course of the Winter Meetings, it now seems unlikely the Pirates trade their starting outfielder, according to MLB.com’s Adam Berry.
Before the Nationals acquired Adam Eaton, the club was reportedly pursuing a deal for McCutchen. However, it seems the Pirates weren’t pleased with any of the offers they received, so McCutchen will likely remain in Pittsburgh to open the season.
The Pirates could revisit trade talks in advance of the non-waiver trade deadline.
Here’s more from around the National League Central:
- It seems there is still a chance for the Cubs to sign Jake Arrieta to an extension.
- The Cardinals are in a position to keep Kolten Wong on the roster, and that seems to be the right decision.
- If Milwaukee is serious about improving its bullpen, Sergio Romo should be an ideal target.
- Cincinnati has interest in free agent reliever Neftali Feliz.
- The Pirates have reportedly been in touch with free agent starter Tyson Ross.